Pages

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Gearing Up For Relay

Olivia & Me

Miss O. And I are gearing up to participate in our local Relay for Life. We're walking in my mom's memory on my work team. It's going to be a great time and it's coming up quick! As in, this weekend, quick!


Relay for Life is a lot of fun...but it's serious business, too! You see, it raises a lot of money so the American Cancer Society can help people who have been touched by cancer and funds research to cure it.

If you've never heard of Relay, it's a great event. I've been participating in them for almost 10 years now, and this will be Miss O.'s 5th event. It's a 24 hour event, where teams dedicated to fighting cancer, ANY kind of cancer, walk for donations. After my Mom was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in 1999, I walked in my first Relay, and I've done one every year since. Miss O. walked, okay, was pushed, in her first event at 3 months old! She has also lead the luminary lap at 2 relays in my mom's memory.

Photobucket




It's been 5 years since Mom lost her battle.

Not a day goes by that I don't think about something and think, "I need to call Mom." It's an instinct that just won't go away, and honestly, I don't want it to. For me, participating in Relay for Life, is a way to keep her memory alive and share it with Miss O.

So, how can you help us?


You can make a donation to my team, by clicking here. Even if you can't donate, just do me a favor...hug the ones you love a little tighter, and tell your mom you love her.

Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. That made me cry. I'm so sorry about your Mom. She was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry about your mom. What a sweet way to honor her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love relay. I've done it a few times too since my mom's death in 2002 of pancreatic cancer. I always get a luminaria in her name. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great even and way to honor and remember your mom! I love that you are a take-action kind of gal. I love the pics you posted. Thank you! It's always nice to put a blog with a picture. HA!

    Enjoy your Relay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful way to celebrate and honor your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck this weekend with the walk.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my! What a beautiful way to commemorate the memory...

    for 10 years? a decade...and O has shared it for 5, wow wow wow!

    I hope you guys have fun while there...

    ReplyDelete