Pages

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Oops!

Interesting phone call today at work. It went something like this...

Me: "Hello, newsroom. Can I help you?"

Caller: "Uh, yes...(I can hear papers being moved around on the other end of the line) Yes, I'm thinking of putting my 15 year old on birth control. *pause* And I was wondering how much an appointment is?"

Me: "uh...uh, I'm sorry, you called a television station."

Caller: "Oh my G-d. I am so sorry."

Click. The line went dead.

I felt so bad for this mother. She sounded nervous enough, just asking the question. When I told her where she called she just sounded mortified. Poor thing.

Lesson learned today...double check your number before dialing.

5 comments:

  1. Heh. You would think that the "Hello, newsroom" would have been the first clue that maybe her call hadn't reached her intended recipient...

    ReplyDelete
  2. If the mom is that nervous calling a clinic, imagine how nervous the daughter must have been asking her for birth control!

    Happy ICLW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I feel for her, but I agree with Kate that you would think that announcing "newsroom" would be a clue. ICLW

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ! (OK I' mean, I'm laughing....)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I once got a pizza shop while trying to call my RE. Fortunately, though I didn't quite hear their intro schpiel because of bad reception, I'm duly vague on the phone, so I didn't go about spilling my menstruating guts to some poor kid slinging pies.

    ReplyDelete