Pages

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Egos

Let me preface this entry, I work in a very ego driven business. Television news, the always hungry beast, is full of egos. Over the last ten years, I have been blessed to work with mostly wonderful people, both in front of the camera, and behind the scenes. Some of the best I've ever worked with had little to NO ego issues. Of course, I think it goes without saying that most of the people who had ego issues, are the ones who aren't the best at their job. In my experience there are two types of people who work in TV news, those who want to be on TV and those who are journalists.
I have never understood the public's obsession with local TV anchors. Yes, you get your news from these people, but they are still people. They eat, shop, sleep, just like the rest of us. It's a job. A job in the public eye, but just a job. We are not talking Brad and Angelina here, people. Unfortunately, this obsession is what feeds the ego.
I don't know why I can't let things slide off my back anymore.
A co-worker is driving me insane. Somehow the ego has grown so big for this person that they feel they are the boss of everyone. Have you ever dealt with someone who is so sugary sweet to your face, but you know that it's just to look "nice"? You know that the only thing that is important to them is themselves. I'm not claiming to be a saint...but I genuinely care about other people and their feelings. I hate my job, but I come in every day and do the best I can do. I don't need to hear from the egos why they feel I'm doing things wrong. If I'm so wrong, my boss will tell me. Argh. This is just becoming a rant.
So, I leave you with a quote.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere." ~Frank A. Clark

This quote fits so many aspects of my life right now...I need to take it to heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment