Saturday, October 31, 2009

Eleven, then Seven

M. and I were a half hour early to the hospital for the egg retrieval yesterday. We figured better early than late, especially since we had to go to the big city for retrieval. Everyone was really nice, and tried to put my worries to rest.

The first nurse took us back to our room, where I got to change into the lovely gown. We then went over some paper work and she started my IV. So far, so good. I was a little nervous, and she put me at ease, saying that most girls wake up ready to go out for lunch! Then anesthesia and the RE came in and we were ready to roll.

After stopping at the bathroom on the way to the OR, down the hall I went. I had to give my name and birth date, and then they situated me on the table. The last thing I remember in there was staring at the ceiling, waiting for the oxygen mask.

I was wheeled back to my room. M. was happy to see me and quickly told me that they had managed to get 11 eggs. My happiness was short lived, as I started feeling intense pressure and pain. After a shot of something and a pill, an hour later, my pain was better and I was deemed well enough to leave.

After our hour and a half ride home, which I blissfully slept through, I hung out on the couch. I was still really uncomfortable and finally broke down around 4 and took my ty.lenol with cod.ine that they prescribed me. I expected to be crampy, but this was different. My abdomen didn't hurt, it was more my chest and shoulders. M. and I joked that they must have kneed on my chest to hold my mobile ovary down! At least, I could still laugh at that point. The meds didn't touch my discomfort, but walking a little made me feel better.

By 9 o'clock last night I was in tears. The pressure in my chest and shoulders was unbearable. I remember crying to M., "I'm not okay. I'm not a wimp. What is wrong?" He kept trying to make me feel better by rubbing my shoulders or helping me walk around the coffee table. Laying down flat was torture. Finally, I managed to get into a reclined position in bed and fell asleep.

I'm still not myself today, but at least that awful pressure/pain is gone.

After talking to my nurse, I found out a little more about my procedure. She was upset that I didn't call last night, and made me promise I will, if I feel like that again. Apparently, the doctor had a lot of trouble with one of my ovaries, and I had a lot of bleeding during the procedure. He managed to get 9 follies out of one side, but could only safely get 2 out of the other. Now, I'm at a higher risk for O.H.S.S. because they had to leave a lot of follicles behind, I guess. Why can't my body be normal?

The good news is that out of the 11 eggs they retrieved, 8 were mature and 7 fertilized!

Tomorrow morning, I'll get the call on whether we'll do a 3 or 5 day transfer. In the meantime, I'm sucking down as much and water as I can and taking it easy.

Seven has always been my "lucky" number, let's hope it comes through for me again!


  1. I was dying for your update! Great news about the embyros... !

    At least you pain was short-lived. That would have freaked me out a little.

  2. Oh, I can't imagine the pain:-( So very sorry. We'll wait for the good news on your 3 or 5 day transfer soon!!

  3. Yay! Glad to hear that you got a good fert report! Let us know how things go with the embryos!

    Sorry to hear about the pain, although I'm glad you mentioned it. I'm taking notes on people's IVF experiences so I can hope to be prepared if/when I move away from IUI.

    Have a great weekend!

  4. WOW! Great numbers!

    What I'm thinking the chest/shoulder pain could be is from whether or not they inflated your abdomen at all to do the retrieval. I know after my cystectomy last December...they warned me that the air the used to expand my innards, could rise to my shoulder and cause some did....I just kept trying to move and not sit still for too long.

    I'm really glad that your numbers were so awesome! WOOHOO!

  5. Praying for seven STRONG ones! :) Keep us updated, I hope you're feeling back to normal and are well enough to enjoy some of the spoils of halloweeen :)

  6. Lucky #7! :) You are in my thoughts and prayers. Happy Halloween! Hopefully one of those seven will be dressed in costume at home with your family celebrating this time next year! :)

  7. Wow - 7 fertilised eggs! What a great result that is. Pity they didn't tell you about the troubles during the op and that you could call if you were hurting! You must have been very upset :(

    I'm so gld you're feeling better today, drink lots of water and rest up. Looking forward to hearing how your little embabies are going.


  8. I'm so sorry about the pain! But so happy for you about 7...yeah for lucky #7.

  9. Congrats!! Keep drinking the gatorade, that does wonders. I was severly hyperstimulated with fluid in my abdomen and the gatorade helped alot!!!! YEAH 7!

  10. Yay! It is sooooo going to be your lucky number. I am so excited!

    If you get OHSS, I have some tips as I had it too.

    I've been thinking of you often- sorry I've been AWOL taking care of the new little boys. Your embryos are going to kick butt!

    Big hugs!!!